Pages

Sunday, May 26, 2013

What do you Love? In the Garden

There's much to be distressed about in the world, and our lives. I could list the tragedies that have touched my life, and those around me. I could vent about the frustrations I have over some of the things I see, hear, and feel unable to impact.

But I won't, not here, and not now. Because honestly, it just doesn't help me feel better. And, in the end, that's what I want. To feel better, to feel good. To enjoy life. 

What if we just started doing more of what we loved? What if, in the face of all of the seeming ugliness in the world, we loved more, loved bigger, loved better? What kind of world would it be?

One of my loves is gardening and growing things. I'm a haphazard gardener. My garden is on the north side of the house, doesn't really get enough sun, but more than anywhere else, I have no idea what the PH of the soil is. I just put plants in and hope they grow, and mostly they do.

The other night, after a long day punctuated by tired, cranky kids, who were finally, peacefully asleep, I stood staring around the disorderly house and looked at the pile on my desk, and tried to decide which to tackle. And then, instead, I went outside at 9pm in high winds that were bringing in a storm, and, by porch light, I planted the rest of the vegetables that were waiting to root in our soil.




I spent maybe 15 minutes digging and planting and squinting in the near darkness. And let the wind blow away the day and in the end, I had this.


And this.


And I was calm, and all felt right in my world, at least.

What do you love?

1 comment:

rosaria williams said...

Yes! Gardening does that to me too, and what joy in all the work and the creaky knees.

I might add sleep too!