Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Grounded in the now.

Certain facts of life bring me up short, and make me really want to savor right here and now.


The future is always uncertain but knowing that a loved one's health, and possibly even life is on the line drives all this home a in way that nothing else can.


My mama has been battling cancer for more than a year now, and for the most part, all has been going as well as we could hope. Until now. Now there is more cancer. Now there are still options, but it all looks less promising, at least from the outside.


In times like these, it is easy to spiral into fear, to write the end of the story before it arrives. Harder though, to remain present in the here and now. But worth the effort.


Worth it to remain grounded now. To hold her now, to soak up the sunshine of each summer day, to love my babies as they grow so quickly, to laugh still, smile still, engage in life still.


Relationships with our parents, be they easy or not so much, are so primal, visceral, basic and yet so complex. My mama is teaching me, when I thought I had learned pretty much what she had to share, a lot about grace, just now. There are never really any guarantees in life, especially regarding how many moments on this planet are ours to savor with those we love. And there are gifts in these seemingly harsh reminders to live now, savor it all now.

3 comments:

**Anne** said...

I'm so sorry to hear you mum is still unwell. It must be a very difficult time for you all, but you do sound so positive.
I must apologies for not replying to your posts for a while. For some reason your posts aren't coming up on my reading file. I think I lost you when I went over to the new Blogger interface. Grrrrr!
Anne xx

Lori ann said...

so sorry to hear diana. sending hugs and love. take good care.
lori x

Wendy Falcon said...

Dear Diana
Sending Love and Healing energy to your Mom,you and family. Your mom is in my prayers. Hugs to everyone.
Please give your Mom my love.
Wendy