Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

Meatloaf...low carb, low yeast

On our yeast free adventure, I've found it necessary to adapt some of our favorite recipes so that Patrick can continue to enjoy them, as well as seek out new ones. Here's an old favorite with a new twist.


Meatloaf, adapted from Betty Crocker's New Cookbook


1 Lb Lean (97% fat free) ground beef (I've been using grass fed, organic, and there's no comparison)
2/3 cup milk
2 tsp Bragg's Liquid Aminos
1 tsp dried ground sage leaf
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder (or 1 clove, finely chopped)
1 large egg
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1/4 cup finely chopped onion


Preheat oven to 350 F.


Mix all ingredients and pressed into an un-greased loaf pan. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes until internal temperature reaches 160 F.


Notes: It's a fine line between done and dry here, so watch carefully once you hit the 50 minute mark. The flax seed acts as a healthy binder without adding a lot of carbohydrate (and thus yeast producing,) content. 


Patrick is a gravy lover, and I find that some broth and a little fat cooks off this, which I can drain and make about the right amount of gravy for the meal.


Gravy:


Drippings and broth, add milk to equal 1 cup
1 1/2 TBSP Cornstarch dissolved in 1 TBSP cold water
1 tsp Braggs Liquid Aminos
Salt & Pepper to taste


Warm the drippings, broth and milk in a pan. Add Braggs, whisk in cornstarch/water mixture and heat to boiling. Simmer for a minute or two until thick. Season with pepper (and salt if needed, Braggs is fairly salty) to taste. 



2 comments:

rosaria said...

Oh, I feel for you! Last summer I was cooking vegan meals for my daughter and hubby, as she was recuperating after surgery. It was a lot of energy and research; but, I managed to stay positive and creative.
You are adapting stuff for hubby and doing a great job, btw.

And, it fits your blog title!
Love to you and your family.
Happy Mother's Day.

Jane said...

Wow, this sounds so good! We are meatloaf eaters. My son only likes ground turkey and my husband and daughter like beef. I always make them both. Love the idea of sage which reminds me to get my herbs planted on sunday.