Pages

Sunday, May 8, 2011

A fun twist on Root Veggies

Another bit of silver lining on the new adventure in eating is that we've discovered some yummy favorites we might not have otherwise encountered.

We're all big potato fans in the house, and, of course, this is off the list at the moment. We often do oven baked fries, planks of potatoes tossed in olive oil and spices and roasted. Instead, we decided to try turnips this way, and liked them so much that we tried rutabagas as well, and I even threw in some beets. Patrick couldn't eat these, but Helena loved them as did I. Now our 6 year old is enthusiastically eating all kinds of root veggies that I didn't even try until I was an adult. 

I used this recipe, http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/crispy-turnip-fries/Detail.aspx, and, for the sake of Patrick's restrictions, omitted the Parmesan (no aged cheeses for him). I used granulated garlic in place of the garlic salt, and added a bit of salt to taste. 

These are easy and yummy. 

5 comments:

Patricia said...

Whether it is "food fashion" or diet it is wonderful to discover untried veggies! I just found sunchokes (aka Jerusalem Artichokes) that is also a root vegetable. Roasted with a little olive oil and salt you would swear you were eating a potato!

Jane said...

Yay for Helena! I still don't care for root vegetables but I have tried beets and my husband loves them. How can you not melt for that gorgeous deep red-purple color?

**Anne** said...

Thanks Diana for your encouraging comments. I've been wondering how your pregnancy is going and when you baby is due?
Take care,
Anne xx

rosaria said...

I love root vegetables. My husband has to be judicious because of his diabetes, as root vegetables may contain too many carbs for him.
Funny how we have to find things the whole family will eat and still adjust for those with special needs.

My daughter is vegan, and she uses grated lemon rind and almonds instead of cheese!

Lori ann said...

i picked up some yummy looking turnips yesterday at farmers market, i'm going to make these tonight! thank you!