Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Hope & Nourishment

This has been an intense month or so. About a month ago, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer. The prognosis is good, very optimistic. Treatments have begun, and, she's responding very well.


I cannot describe the range of emotions I have moved through in this last month, and continue to feel.  I won't try, it's all to ethereal, changing from moment to moment for me.


The practical side of me wants, as always, to do something, to take action. Positive loving thoughts are in my mind and heart as often as I can bring them forth, and I use them to push past fear.


But I am still a hands on person, wanting always to dig in some how and contribute tangibly.


So I cook. Blessedly, this news coincided with gradual cessation of my morning sickness and return of my appetite. I will admit, from weeks 6-11 or so of this pregnancy, I was not much of a cook, and my family was probably bored silly with my repetitive cooking of the few things I could stomach. But now, food, with a very few exceptions, is good again, which is a very good thing when you're trying to fatten up you're sweet mama a bit.


I made this Cream of Asparagus Soup, with homemade bread using the Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day Master Recipe.


I also made cream puffs for her...anyone who knows my mama knows she loves all types of whipped creams and custard. I used the recipe from my Betty Crocker Cookbook. The puff recipe I found here. The vanilla custard is not included in this link, but any from scratch vanilla custard would suffice. Or, you can use sweetened whipped cream, which is also quite good. 


Others have included my favorite Tomato Cabbage Soup, from this post. And Grecian Isle Stew. With bread, as always.


Although my first thought was to feed my mom, in the process, I'm also feeding my sister (still at home) and father, who are her main onsite supports right now, and that also feels wonderful. They too, must be experiencing some version of this range of emotion. My dad mentioned to me last week how much he's been enjoying the soups I've been bringing. It warmed my heart.


For me, action brings hope. I'm so grateful for something, anything I can do that is helpful. Grateful that this has all come about at time when medicine has taken such great strides forward toward more effective, less invasive treatments. So grateful too, that my mom is getting such good care, and that she feels so good about it all. Although at times I'm still SO scared, it's all really so very good.

4 comments:

**Anne** said...

Hi Diana,
I've been thinking about you, wondering how you were going with your pregancy and suspected you weren't feeling too good. I'm glad to hear the nausea is going and you feel like eating again.
My thoughts are with you, your mum and your family as you go through this difficult time of her cancer treatment. Having a family member face this kind of illness is difficult at the best of times, but with you being pregnant, it's so much harder as we all know hormones take on a life of their own leaving us all over the place.
I hope your mum continues to respond well to treatment and you feel a sense of helping by baking and cooking for your family. Cooking is such an act of love and is truly one of the most helpful things you can do.
Take care of you during this time.
Love and hugs,
Anne xx

rosaria said...

Oh dear, I had no idea about your mom. Yes, you are the hope now, your energy and creativity supporting the rest of your family. Glad your appetite is back and your creativity too.

Do rest!
Cooking and cleaning up takes a lot of energy.

Lori ann said...

i'm so sorry diana,and my very best wishes for a complete and total recovery for your sweet mom.

i do understand what your going through, my own mom had breast cancer, and so did my sister. the only good i can say about it is it pulled our family together, and it sounds the same for you.

you are lovely to take such good care of your parents, i'm sure they both appreciate it so much.

take good care of you too, dear friend.

Jane said...

Thinking of you and hoping for health and healing for your mother. There is something special about soup. Is it something magical? I think so. Soup is satisfying to the soul and how awesome of you to nourish your family in such a healthy way. Happy weekend!