Pages

Friday, December 17, 2010

Soups for the Season, December 17th, 2010

Feeing well again, and back to the soup season...Here's a nice, simple, hearty one for a cold day. Leftover's freeze well too, great for quick, warm lunches.

Lentil Tomato Soup

Ingredients
2 1/2 cups uncooked lentils
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
2 yellow onions, diced
1 green pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup chopped celery
3 cups vegetable broth
3 cups water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
parsley, chopped (optional)
salt and pepper, to taste
Directions
In a large pot, heat the olive oil and add the garlic, onions, green pepper, and celery.
Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until garlic and onions begin to brown.
Add the vegetable broth, lentils, turmeric, and tomatoes.
Bring to a boil then turn down the heat to a simmer and cover.
Cook for about 40 minutes or until lentils are tender. Add some water or more vegetable broth if the soup is too thick.
Add salt and pepper to taste, cayenne pepper if you'd like a spicy soup, and sprinkle parsley over the top if desired.
Makes about 8 servings.


Found here

5 comments:

rosaria at the lake said...

I just spent a day shopping and running around. What I wouldn't do for a cup of lentil soup like this! Yummmm!

Looking forward to more soups.

rosaria at the lake said...

Note: I changed my moniker from Lakeviewer,stating both my location and my real name.

Rinkly Rimes said...

Here in Australia it's definitely NOT the time for hot soup.

But I thought you might like my poem entitled 'What I Want'. Life as seen from the perspective of a grandmother!

THE OLD GEEZER said...

Thanks for the soup recipe. My wife is a big time soup cook :-)

I hope you and your family have a Wonderful Christmas :-)

~Ron
*****

Jane said...

This sounds so good! I'd love to give it a try over the next week or two.