Pages

Monday, November 15, 2010

Holiday Fundraiser for the SPCA

I have been thinking a lot about the idea of being of service..to others, to the community, be it our local community, or the larger global community. These are not new thoughts for me. We did volunteer work with our parents from time to time when I was small, and it has always resonated with me strongly, this idea of thinking beyond my own doorstep, and giving outside my immediate circle.


I have been thinking and dreaming more along these lines since becoming a parent, as I think about the values I'd like to pass on to our daughter. Service is high on that last. 


Paradoxically, these feelings of wanting (maybe even needing) to be of greater service, have come at a time in my life where I feel like I have the least amount of free time to share. When the demands on me and my time are greater than ever before. Who knew (ha ha, some of you veteran parents are laughing at me now), that parenting would be quite this demanding.


Yet this fullness in my life also really drives home the need to do some of it now...the important stuff, that is. One of the bigger gifts of parenting has given me is to teach me (it's still teaching me daily) to prioritize. If there's one thing I've learned in recent years, it's that if I don't make the important things a priority, they WILL NOT HAPPEN.


Apparently, I could go on and on about this topic, I feel like I'm just warming up. But more at a later date. Let's get to the point.



Somehow, I got this idea to sell trees. We have these huge, gorgeous spruce trees surrounding our property. And they make lots of baby trees. These mama and papa trees are about 50 years old and quite hardy. Who wouldn't want such a tree in their yard? 


Well, now's your chance!

On black Friday, November 26th, we will be selling baby spruce trees at the SPCA Annex at the Shops at Ithaca Mall. We'll be there from 10am-4pm, or until we sell out, whichever comes first. We have a few friends helping out and we think it will be a lot of fun. Moreover, 100% of our proceeds will benefit the Tompkins County SPCA

Trees will be from 3"-15" tall and the price range is from $2-$10. We plan to have around 40 trees available for sale.




If you're in the Ithaca area, please help us spread the word about this fundraiser. We would love to sell out completely, and may repeat this again in December if the first round is a success. 


If you can't make it on the 26th, you can also donate directly to the Tompkins County SPCA here. Or web search your local area & SPCA to find a shelter in your region to donate to. 

6 comments:

Lori ann said...

What a brilliant idea Diana! if only i lived near you i would be first in line!
bless your heart.

THE OLD GEEZER said...

Volunteer work is good for the soul. Keep up the good work :-)

~Ron

**Anne** said...

I hope your fund raiser goes well. I'm in Australia otherwise I'd buy one of your little trees. :-)
Anne xx

lakeviewer said...

What a beautiful project! I'd buy one if I lived there too. Hope you sell out.

Janna Qualman said...

What a beautiful post, and a great idea! Those trees are lovely, and so is your desire to give and help. Best wishes.

Have linked through to find you. Nice to "meet" you. :)

Diana said...

Thank you all for your sweet, supportive words! I'm so excited about this!