Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Finding True North....part 4

Purple Aurora Borealis
Photo Courtesy of Anar Valdimarsson


There is one thing that has become abundantly clear to me of late, and that is this: The Good Life starts right here, right now, in this moment. It isn't tomorrow or next week or next year. It isn't when my body is thinner or tighter, when my house is cleaner or more finished, it's not when the laundry is put away, when the dishes are done, when I have the right job or relationship or geographical location. IT'S RIGHT HERE RIGHT NOW.


I have spent much of my life working through the to do lists, whatever they were for the time, be it finishing school, work for the day, a list of tasks or goals. All of these pieces are necessary parts of life, the stuff that life is made up of. In fact, they are life itself, along with many other pieces that fit into what makes up our hours of our days.


But if we (read, I!) get some caught up in getting it all done, getting there, getting somewhere, so much so that we forget that it's the quality of each day, of our interactions as we move throughout our days, that really matters, then we lose something precious with each day that passes. Each day is rich with the possibility that I can slow down enough to savor it, to savor the moments with those I love, and those I hold on my own, no matter what I'm doing.


This is not to say that it's not important to strive for what we want and work toward it, but more that we (again, read I!) need to remember the richness in what we already have. 


Recently, I stepped outside for just a moment for something, and was struck by the incredibly rich beauty of the sunset, just reaching peak. I ran back in for my camera, and was distracted by something out of place, that irritated me begged to be put away. I did so, then grabbed my camera and ran back out, and the sun had already sunk below the hills.....I had missed it. I have missed other moments as well, for similar reasons. But, if I can learn by the end of my days, to soak up the richness of many more moments without missing them, to put into perspective and balance the doing with the being, then I will consider this a life well spent.

6 comments:

lakeviewer said...

Yes, savor every moment!

**Anne** said...

I really enjoyed reading this post and couldn't agree more.
Anne

Miranda said...

Thanks for the reminder. Needed it today...

Lori ann said...

Really lovely Diana, a beautiful post.

**Anne** said...

Hello again Diana,
I thought you might like this quote.

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
Buddha

Anne xx

Diana said...

Thank you all for your warm words!