Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Hair & Cleaning up the Gulf Oil Spill

I wanted to throw up when hearing of the Gulf Oil Spill. I'm sure I'm not the only now with that kind of reaction. Throw up, then close my ear and eyes because the enormity of such a disaster makes me feel helpless, and to focus on something so devastating that I can do so little about makes me feel useless and immobilized.  But then I found this information.

Did you know there's a simple way to help clean up the Gulf Oil Spill? I came across this information here. Thank you Miranda!

Hair absorbs oil. Different kinds of hair. Human, sheep (wool!), alpaca. Matter of Trust is coordinating a massive effort to collect hair clippings from salons, animal owners, and individuals. These clippings with be bagged in nylon stockings and used to soak up oil from the Gulf Oil and 2,600 or so smaller spills that happen worldwide annually.

Detailed info on how to contact Matter of Trust about this is in the link below. Contact your Salon or farming friend today and ask them to get involved. You can also donate if means allow, to the fund for getting the hair where it needs to go to help.

http://matteroftrust.org/programs/hairmatsinfo.html

Thank you!

2 comments:

Jane said...

I've learned something new today! I never knew hair could be beneficial in that way. What a great use of all of those millions of clippings every day all over the world.

GutsyWriter said...

I found your blog and knew about the hair when the Exxon Valdez spill took place ages ago. You just gave me an idea to contact my hairdresser. Thanks.