Pages

Sunday, March 21, 2010

52 Projects Week 9: Lined the Cabinets

52_proj_badge_v2

As I was typing the title of this post, it hit me, that at week 9 (having joined at week 3), I've been at this for nearly two months already..how can this be?

I have kicked into serious organization mode in the last 2 weeks. Maybe it's the springy weather (oh, hooray!). Maybe it's some other change in me (lots of those going on these days), but it's really time to get this house in order!

So this week, I lined the shelves in the kitchen. We've had the shelf lining since our last move, and I pulled it out to use about 3 weeks ago. And there it sat, on top of my refridgerator.



This project was particularly important to me because we have painted cabinets, some paint is chipping off, and I'm not sure what's in the paint. The current coat is fairly recent and likely fine, but what's underneath is likely to contain lead. And it may be getting in our food, primarily on the bottom of pans and plates and rims of drinkware, so eliminating that friction was a priority.






I discovered, for those who sew, that a rotary cutter and cutting board are a great, fast way to cut the webby shelf liner stuff (technical term:-)


And there you have it, my lined shelf. I had enough for about 90% of my cabinets, and plan to pick up some more for the last few tomorrow.



On a separate note, I'm really behind on peeking at what everyone else has been working on, responding to comments, etc....but hope to catch up over the next few days.

Happy Sunday, the sun is still shining here, but threatening to leave soon, so we're off to enjoy some!

9 comments:

Jane said...

We don't have our shelves lined and I know we probably should. I'm feeling some spring cleaning coming my way too. I love this time of year to open the windows and let some fresh air inside. Happy Sunday!

newmumover40 (to be!) said...

Sounds like a much needed project considering the possibly of lead. So glad you were able to use 52 projects as motivation to get organised! I was glad of the opportunity myself in that I got some much need organising and clutter clearing done for one week's project!

Two months already! My goodness...

Arianna (Erika) said...

That is something that I need to do! I have a few cabinets that can use some uplifting, but I am trying to get myself all fired up to paint the kitchen... Very nice work!

K A B L O O E Y said...

That's something I've never done, but luckily I have no lead worries right now. Because there are so many things I need to get cleared out, organized, repaired, etc. Thanks for the inspiration and good for you for making sure everyone stays safe.

Lis said...

as an avid shelf paper linerer (the technical name) i totally know how monumental a task this is! we moved 2 years ago and there are still odd shelves and drawers that require lining (and the good stuff cost so much!)

don't you just feel better?

ros said...

What a great project - never thought of using my quilting supplies to cut that stuff - brilliant

lakeviewer said...

You are serious about this! I used to line shelves, coordinating colors to match or complement the kitchen colors; even my dishes matched.
Now, it's a beach life!
If it's not making us ill, forget it.
It we can do without it, forget it.

We ask ourselves two questions: does it improve our quality of life; and, what happens if we don't do it?

Seriously, we have to simplify our lives. Too much stuff.

I'm glad to see you around.

faerwillow said...

~our shelves are lined...one of the first things my mom did when we bought our house...i think out of habit cause her have always been...i too have been a a cleaning organizing mission...yet wondering if and when it will ever end!?! brightest blessings~

MrB said...

A functional project; I like it. I predict some of mine will be of that genre. (especially after reading Jane's comment)