Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Peacock Purse

I just found this awesome new blog, 52 projects, which speaks to my post below, so excited for the inspiration, and the company!

I'm all for keeping the house tidy, the dishes washed, things fairly orderly. In fact, for the most part, I really thrive most in an orderly environment. But this was one of those weeks when it began to feel like that was the sum total of my days.....not that that's entirely true, by any stretch of the imagination. I had many lovely, snuggly moments with Helena this week, a long but good day at work, some good chats with friends at homeschool playgroup...

But today I've been nursing a bit of a cold, and by the end of the day wanted something just for me. So tonight, I left the dishes in the sink, the unpicked up things where they lay, and headed for the sewing room.

This purse has been in my head for a few months, since we moved into this house, and Sandy, the daughter of the previous owner, sweetly left behind some fabric from her mother's stash. This is especially sweet since Sandy sews herself, and I was grateful and inspired. This is vintage, probably late 60s, and I have some other fun pieces to play with next.

Fast forward, past the heavy unpacking (still much to do), the holidays, to the gray cold days of January. I started it a couple of weeks ago, and then stalled few times, for lack of time and then from indecision....how much embelishment, how to proceed (in all my years of sewing....30 or so, I don't think I've ever made a purse or tote). Tonight I decided to plunge forward, and I'm really, really, pleased with the result.

It's a fairly simple tote style, which I modified from a pattern, added an inside pocket to, and lined. I think I might play with it a bit more and adjust the style, but for now, I'm quite happy to have a new purse to carry around..have been wanting one for awhile but couldn't justify spending the $50 or more on a decent quality leather bag. This was made entirely from what I had on hand. I think this will be great for the rest of the winter, and for spring, I have some fun new fabrics to try out.






And now, for my book and bed.

3 comments:

T.J. said...

What a sweet tote :) and I'd agree, an organized house feels so good, but when you're sick, the rules change a bit!

A Bun Can Dance said...

Hi Diana
I love your turquoise peacock purse - the perfect colour pick-me-up!!
I too love the house to be organised - it's not perfect by any means, but I can't settle if it is muddly.
As for the chair in the picture - yes it is my cosy chair! Known by all family and friends as "Denise's Chair" - it was a purchase to symbolise freedom of spirit, a few years ago when I started a new life - I love the chair :-)
Wishing you a happy weekend ahead,
Denise x

Jane said...

I love your creations! I'm so happy to have you join us over at 52 Projects. It will be so inspiring to share our new things :) Happy Friday!