Pages

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Theme Thursday.....Vegetable

My Hopeful Garden




Happy Theme Thursday!

March is a fickle month here in Upstate. It can be 60 and gorgeous one day, and 30 and snowing the next. Myself, and most everyone I know around here are absolutely itching for spring. I find myself impatient with the cold weather, though spring has not yet technically begun.

This year we plan to have a large garden, enough to fill our fresh food needs for the spring, summer, and autumn, and hopefully enough to can and freeze some for winter.

We planted our first seedlings weeks ago, and most have yet to sprout despite our grow light (since we lack good windows with southern exposure). But, less than a week after planting, these little Kale plants came popping optimistically through the soil, and are growing rapidly. This photo is about a week old, some are already two inches tall.

My bulbs have yet to push through the winter soil, though it seems that most everyone else's have....I know this is just my impatience, but I'm really READY for spring.

But my Kale is growing and thriving...I check them multiple times a day! So I can hang on until the warmer weather is here to stay....


Text Color

14 comments:

reyjr said...

good luck on your garden!

Wings said...

Wish you lots of luck on your garden. We are trying pumpkins & watermelon this year. Zoinks!

willow said...

Lots of luck on your little seedlings!

Candie Bracci said...

Wishing you the best luck too!
:)

Auntie, aka cagny said...

Hi Lady Di,
Yes, there is something so optimistic about new plant growth.
I will try once again to plant pumpkins this year. Last year they did not take.
Be sure to take a pic of whatever you do with your garden's bounty.

subtorp77 said...

I can see the bits of green, just popping through the soil. Soon it will be warm enough for the outside plantings :) Think green thoughts!

tut-tut said...

I'm doing the same thing you are, and hoping we get a great and varied harvest.

Ronda Laveen said...

I love kale. It is so good in Italian soups. I use it in the fall for ornamentals in my winter garden.

Megan said...

I see them!

Nicole said...

hooray & joyousness abound!
We too are waiting for seedlings to make an appearance.
xxoxoxoxoxo

Kris said...

From little things big things grow.

subtorp77 said...

Hi Diana! Thanks for dropping by and the kind words :)Great blog( and I'm perusing all these side bars ) 8^)

Dakota Bear said...

The starting of a garden is always exciting with great anticipation. Hope you have an abundant harvest this year.

subtorp77 said...

Hi Diana. I thank you for the kind words and left you something over at me blog :)