Pages

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Menu Planning...part of the balancing act

It's Sunday night. Helena's asleep. Patrick is showering. We've had a fairly mellow weekend (dug into one project, which I'll describe at another time). I'm tired, but planning for the week to come.

I find, these days, that planning ahead helps a lot in most things. I like spontaneity....I could watch it all day! But as the mother of a 4 year old, somedays I find it challanging to accomplish anything let alone everything on ever growing list.

One the things that helps me tremendously is planning our dinner menu for the week. Patrick asked me last week, were were really going to stick with this one. Of course I said no! So really, it's more of a menu guildline. I depart from it for various reasons...too tired sometimes to cook and just do something simple, too many leftovers we need to eat, forgot we had plans to be out, etc... But having a notion in advance of what to cook these days keeps me from scrambling around at 5pm trying fast thaw something and ending up with a cranky hungry family by the time dinner is ready.

So without further ado, here's my menu plan for this week ( I mean guildline!):

Monday: Buffalo Chicken Pizza (for some reason I bought buffalo style sausage, this seemed a good way to use it. I made the crust tonight and am slow rising it in the fridge, ALA Alton Brown.

Tuesday: we'll be out

Wednesday: Enchilada Casserole (lots of torillas in the freezer, and not the good kind you get fresh in CA, kind of hard, best used this way)

Thursday: Dinner out (Karls house)

Friday: Pork Chops, Collards Greens, Rice or Potatoes (I have both)

Saturday: Turkey Meatloaf, Broccoli, Rice or Potatoes (I have both)

Sunday: Eat up leftovers

Once I have a plan, I make my shopping list and check recipes so I know I have what I need on hand. Sometimes I'll also bump an item to the next day if we start getting overrun with leftovers. I also like to plan in easy nights like burgers or hotsdogs with salad one a day when I know we'll be busy and not get home early enought to cook.

Happy March!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

hooray. My sister Rachel loves her meal plans, and is flexible as to what day as well.
Admitedly, although people think there is no rhyme or reason to my method, I actually do, and basically do a mental food plan for the week as well. My family is trying to get used to a leftover's night, although I try really hard to encourage them for lunch. Let me know how Abrown's pizza dough recipe is.

Diana @ BP Feng Shui said...

Hi honey!
The pizza turned out great. I used a basic sauce, topped with the spicy sausage and a little blue cheese and black olives, then topped it all with mozzarella. It was better than I expected.

I actually use my own (from the pizza stone box) recipe, but Alton Brown's technique, which is to mix it the night before and knead minimally (I'm all for kneeding minimally!), then refrigerate until about an hour before, let warm up, knead slighly and go for it. It turned out really good.

Also, have, after about 15 years, learned how to actually properly use a pizza stone, which makes all the difference :-)